Gottlieb Duttweiler established Migros in Zürich in 1925 with a number of mobile shops. This became the nucleus of a co-operatively owned chain that expanded to include other retail stores and, in 1954, filling stations. These use the co-op's own Migrol brand and today include many stations owned by independent dealers. In the 1990s the company struck a strategic alliance with the larger German company DEA, but in 1998 DEA sold its 11 Swiss service stations to Migrol. In the second half of the same year Migrol acquired over 100 filling stations from Aral, which wished to withdraw from the Swiss market. Migrol has always been a price leader and today supplies around 350 outlets.
Migrol-branded maps are less common than those issued by the parent Migros group that mark Migrol filling stations. This recent (2001-2) Hallwag map is an exception. Migrol locations are shown on a map at 1:600,000 on one side; the reverse has nine inset city plans, but is mainly given over to third party advertising from firms such as Riwax and Pierrot Lusso ice-cream. However the presentation is unusual; the map is pasted into the rear cover of a 24 page station location booklet, allowing the possibility that the booklet could be updated more often than the map.
Maps: Migros group
Migros issued maps of Switzerland that show the location of Migrol filling stations and Migros supermarkets (separately identified by size), as well as Hotelplan hotels and travel agencies. These are more common than pure Migrol maps. The older map (left) dates from 1967 and was drawn by Kümmerley & Frey to a scale of 1:400,000. By 1978 (right) no cartographer was credited, and a detailed map at 1:600,000 was backed by a smaller motorway map. The earlier map listed service station addresses; the later one just their locations on the map, but gave greater emphasis to restaurants and "mibars". It was well illustrated by colour photos of the restaurant operation.
The service station company, Migrol, does however appear to have had some maps prepared for its exclusive use. The example shown here dates from 1973 and, unlike the maps above, only marks filling stations, not the other group operations and has a large Migrol logo inside. It too was prepared to a scale of 1:400,000 by Kümmerley & Frey and is backed by town plans, not advertising. The cover is clearly priced at S.Fr 2, reflecting the paper quality and production values, which are notably higher than the 1978 map, which was probably for free distribution.
In 1985 Migrol/Migros sold this red plastic map wallet (right) with 5 clear pockets for SFr 10-. The wallet contained four sectional maps (left) by Kümmerly + Frey at 1:250,000 and a 32 page four language travel guide described as being a booklet of walking and bike tours. The guide listed numbered tours that corresponded to numbers on the maps.
This late 1950s (?) map of Germany was issued by Pröls KG of Wiesbaden in West Germany and is based on a standard JRO map of the era. It appears that the Migrol name was licenced to this German concern, but that the Migrol name was no longer used in Germany by the mid-1960s. The griffin logo is (other than its colours) however that used by Migrol on its Swiss petrol stations until the early 1970s.
Text and layout © Ian Byrne, 2000-2
All original copyrights in logos and map extracts and images are acknowledged and images are included on this site for identification purposes only.