Traffic is the major air polluter and noise maker in Espoo!
Avoid unnecessary driving. Take the bus, train or bicycle instead
of the car whenever it is possible. Most of the journeys made by car are under 2
kilometres in length. Is it worth using a 1500 kg metal lump, the car, in order to
purchase 2 kilos of food ?
Use the phone instead of a car ! How many times have You used a
car for no reason !
Utility exercise?! Could you combine a shopping trip and
exercising ? Walk or use a bicycle when you go shopping. Put Your track suit on and off
You go ! You will get fresh air, enjoy nature, get exercise and feel good.
THOUGHT WAKENING IDEAS TO PRIVATE DRIVERS:
- Get going as soon as the car has started. Avoid idling. According to the
vehicle regulation it is forbidden to idle a car for more than two minutes or four minutes
in cold weather, under minus 15 degrees celsius.
- When purchasing, choose a low consuming car or equipment.
- Use an electric starter when it is colder than 5 degrees. When the
temperature is around zero degrees, the motor will warm up in half an hour and in very
cold weather two hours of warming up is enough. Do not keep the electric starter on over
- Remove the unnecessary load from the trunk and the roof.
- The way You drive affects how much petrol You consume and exhausts. Avoid
unnecessary braking, acceleration and speeding. Use the highest gear and avoid traffic
- Do not drive alone. Try to arrange a joint drive with Your co-workers or
neighbours who work in the same district. Together You will cut down a half of the
- Avoid driving in the city. By using public transport You save money, time
and nerves plus You do not need to worry about parking space.
- Regular car services decrease running costs, exhausts and large repair
bills. Also check the air pressures in the tyres.
Less driving - less deteriorated roads, new roads, noise, exhausts,
traffic accidents, car repairing etc.
TIPS FOR ECONOMICAL DRIVING
- Drive accordingly to the other traffic and the terrain.
- Accelerate quickly to the target speed.
- Anticipate approaching to the traffic lights and cross-roads.
- Choose the routes and lanes where the traffic precedes smoothly and where
there is little need for stopping.
- Consider the day's programme already in the morning. Take care of as many
errands as possible.
- Choose the parking space from which You can take care of all the errands
You need to without moving the car.
Avoid the busiest times and places, it will save Your time and nerves.
Thanks to Niko Torvela of Espoonsäästokskus (Espoo Energy Agency) and the City of Espoo, Finland for permission to reproduce this page.
I might add that the advice to "Accelerate quickly to the target speed" is contrary to most observers' recommendations for economical driving. The comments about using an Electric Starter refer to a warming element that is useful in very cold climates, such as Finland.